The thing about college was this feeling of God being able to do anything and everything and He will use you. Then you enter the world and are surrounded by “reality”, bills, and responsibility. I don’t want to disregard being responsible, but I want to get fired up about possibilities and Jesus again. Even if it is here in Colorado Springs—then I need to get fired up. For some reason I feel like God’s preparing me for something. I want to serve Him by showing His love to the poor and hurting, and "I'll get ready on the way."
Monday, August 19, 2013
All the Poor and Powerless
We are going through a series on idols at church. Yesterday was about the idol of comfort. At first, it was easy to tune him out about holding your things with open hands. It’s easy to think negatively (I don’t have a nice car--my car is junky and will overheat, I don’t have my own place—I live in a basement, and my job isn't the most exciting thing), but on the flip side I realize how incredibly blessed I am and I have so many luxuries of choice and what I do with my time. God is gracious to me. There’s this song by Sons & Daughters that my worship leader sang about 6 months ago. I connected with it the first time he sang it and he’s only done it a few more times since then. Here’s a link to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=g6fheuBf0Pk Everyone will recognize God’s holiness. I’m just as poor and powerless as everyone else. I cannot believe Jesus chose to love me. Sometimes it hits me harder than other days and blows me away. I want to show this love in action to the hurting and broken. I’m not the most vocal about my faith or have the most Scripture memorized, but what I do know is that God’s unfailing love brought me back to him throughout my sinning and I want to show that same love to the poor and powerless. Steven Furtick (whose message stirred something in me before God opened the door to DC—the message about Digging Ditches) returned to Liberty last fall. I didn’t know this and came upon his message. He spoke about God’s power doing great things through us (us, who are messed up human beings). He said a few things that got me fired up again. “God never called you to feel ready; He called us to follow Him.” And “You don’t have to understand fully to obey completely.” Here’s the link just in case you have 30 minutes to spare. http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=1VKzdPQktHk
The thing about college was this feeling of God being able to do anything and everything and He will use you. Then you enter the world and are surrounded by “reality”, bills, and responsibility. I don’t want to disregard being responsible, but I want to get fired up about possibilities and Jesus again. Even if it is here in Colorado Springs—then I need to get fired up. For some reason I feel like God’s preparing me for something. I want to serve Him by showing His love to the poor and hurting, and "I'll get ready on the way."
The thing about college was this feeling of God being able to do anything and everything and He will use you. Then you enter the world and are surrounded by “reality”, bills, and responsibility. I don’t want to disregard being responsible, but I want to get fired up about possibilities and Jesus again. Even if it is here in Colorado Springs—then I need to get fired up. For some reason I feel like God’s preparing me for something. I want to serve Him by showing His love to the poor and hurting, and "I'll get ready on the way."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment